TEAM SELECTION CRITERIA
VYI County Select basketball differs from House basketball in that teams are selected based on three to four tryouts held in the first two weeks of October and only the best players, in the sole opinion of the Division I coach and staff with the approval of the County Commissioner, are selected based on how well they perform at the tryouts. Selection to a team based on a coaches knowledge of skills in other sports, or because of other associations is strictly prohibited.
VYI generally follows the rules of the Fairfax County Youth Basketball League, but VYI does have additional rules that must be followed by parents and coaches. The rules exist to ensure the maximum number of participants can play at their appropriate age level. Please read the following carefully.
1. Players must register at VYI's WEB site prior to attending tryouts, and pay the appropriate House fee subject to refund or credit against County fees if the player makes a County team. Parents must read and agree to abide by all rules related to participation in tryouts and on County teams.
2. Players must attend a minimum of two tryouts held the first two weeks of October, prior to selection for a team, even if they are injured. Injured players who do not attend tryouts, will not be selected by VYI rule. Any unexcused absence, that is, one the player has not cleared with the Division I coach, is sufficient reason, on its own, for not being selected.
3. VYI does not allow a player to enter its County program, or to rejoin its program, at any other then the lowest age/grade level for which the player is eligible. For example, 5th graders would play for the 10 & Under/5th grade team, 6th graders would play for the 11 & Under/6th grade team, 7th graders would play for the 12 & Under/7th grade team and 8th graders would play for the 13 (Boys)/14(Girls) & Under/8th grade team. VYI does not allow players to "play-up" as that may preclude an age-appropriate player from participating, and VYI prefers that participants play for a different coach each year. The VYI County Basketball Commissioner may grant special authority in hardship cases, but for every out of age player approved in advance by the Commissioner and selected to a team, a player of the appropriate age/grade level must be added to that team.
For example, if a player plays for a VYI 10&Under (5th grade) team one year as a 10 year old, then plays for another club the next year, and then wants to return to VYI, the only alternative under VYI rules is at the 12&Under (7th grade) level. The player may not try out for the 8th grade team, or be selected for an 8th grade team, even if they are age eligible, unless approved in advance by the VYI County Basketball Commissioner, as this is considered "playing up".
Only two 9 or 10 year old 4th graders may be selected by a coach for a 10&Under/5th grade team without approval of the VYI County Basketball Commissioner. For every 4th grader in this position, VYI requires that one extra 10 year old 5th grader must be added to that team. Each 10&Under/5th grade team is allowed to carry a maximum of two 4th graders regardless of their age eligibility.
4. VYI does not allow less than 8 or more than 12 players on a single team, without proper justification and the approval of the VYI County Basketball Commissioner. VYI recommends that each coach choose a 10 player team.
5. A player with an injury prior to tryouts is expected to attend all tryouts as the team to which he wants to be selected, and may be selected if the coach is familiar with his skills from past basketball seasons, basketball summer play or based on the recommendation of another VYI Division I basketball coach. Parent recommendations or recommendations of coaches not associated with VYI, or from other sports, are not acceptable. No player with an injury may be selected solely because of a past association with another sport, or be selected at a different age level, if not selected at the appropriate age level. If a player with an injury is selected, another player must also be selected, so if the injured player is the 10th selected, for example, the coach must have 11 players on the squad. A player with an injury may not be selected if the injury extends into the regular season and would mean that the player would miss regular season games beginning in early December. The extent of a player injury will be determined by a practicing doctor's written document.
NOTE: If a parent is told an injured player will not make the team for which they declared because a coach is not familiar with that player, the parent may contact the VYI Basketball County Commissioner for further guidance. However, there is no guarantee the player will be placed on a team. If the Commissioner is familiar with the player, and believes the player has the unquestioned ability to compete at that level, the Commissioner may ask the coach for a further appraisal, but the Divsion I coach has the final say in team selection, as long as they follow the rules on this page.
6. FCYBL allows two age exceptions per team for all teams 12&Under and below and VYI follows that policy. For example, this means a 5th grader who is 11 years old in September preceding a season may still try out and play for the 10&Under/5th grade team, a 6th grader who is 12 years old in September preceding a season may still try out and play for the 11&Under/6th grade team, and a 7th grader who is 13 years old in September preceding a season may still try out and play for the 12&Under/7th grade team. Further age exceptions are allowed at the boys 13&Under/8th grade level per FCYBL rules, but any person selected as an age exception must also meet the criteria in 3. above.
7. FCYBL allows two zip code exceptions per team for all teams and VYI follows that policy. VYI however, asks that all coaches give consideration to players from our area and if there is only a slight difference in skills that area players be selected over out of zip exceptions.
8. Players are chosen at the sole discretion of the Division I coach at that age level and gender, along with his assistants and the Division II coach, and must be approved prior to player notification by the VYI County Commissioner. Selection is subjective and each coach may select anyone they wish without exception, as long as all rules above are followed. However, VYI recommends that the coach select the 10 players who perform the best at tryouts, within the age/grade and zip code rules above, which fit the desires of that coach for the type of team the coach wants to form. Selections, lack of selection, or reasons for selection, may not be appealed by parents.
9. Each Division I coach is given four tryout slots and every player, regardless of ability, will be provided a minimum of the first two full tryouts (players retained after the second tryout are expected to attend at least three of the four tryouts unless excused by the Division I coach) to demonstrate their skills. The Division I coach, in conjunction with the Division II coach, may choose to perform an initial cut after the second tryout to get the numbers of players trying out to a more manageable level. The minimum number of players advancing to a third and fourth tryout must be at least twenty five, if that many attended the initial tryout, so if 40 attended the first tryout, 15 may be referred to the House league after the second complete tryout. After the second tryout, the Division I coach may choose to select the Division I team, or the coach may wait until the third or fourth tryout. The Division II coach is expected to fully complete all four tryouts prior to final selection of the Division II team unless there are 10 players or less remaining, in which case the Div II coach may complete selection after the third tryout.
10. No County player may request a specific team or to play for a specific coach. If selected by the Division I coach, for example, they are expected to play for that coach.
ATTN: Payment of all fees must be completed no later than one week after uniform tryons the Saturday following the last scheduled tryout. Parents are strongly encouraged to pay fees on line via credit card or electronic check. Parents must bring birth certificates to the tryout where teams will be selected as indicated in advance by the Team Coach.